Friday, May 2, 2008

air

Yesterday all i needed after that lunch, where very good and respectable writers were being honoured with prizes and laurels,was space and air.There were large bottles filled with coloured water on the tables,so nobody would steal any drink ,that would be up to twohundred a bottle if the drink were real some ultimate petit bourgeois uttered on the way out OUT.I'd had my fill ,well actually the food was scarse on the plates, of words and important people.I wanted to stick my (substantial)nose in the air like a wolf or a biiig cat and sniff the smell of freedom.I wanted to roam the streets of a different city then this one on soft soles and breathe in very deeply that spiky smell of sun and spices combined.I wanted the dust and the heat and the wringing suspense of the feeling that finally something absolutly great was going to happen.Like the exclamation of the trumpets at the beginning of the Dies Irae in Verdi's requiem tata ta TAAA there it is ,it's happening?What?Even if it does'nt happen that way it's the anticepation of it all combined with the schhhmell of promised freedom in your head and your heart starts racing ahead of you or buzzing in your head and YES there it is ,a song ,a tasty song in your mouth a broadwinged flutter in your throat and your body is lifted up .Was i that crazy when i walked along the coast on my way to Sidi Bu Said with the sea so blue so blue down below and the road sweating white under my golden sandals and me singing an arab tune under my large straw hat with the man embarassed and correct in white ,suit,white under his hat walking beside me.?This limo stopped and the woman who would'nt take off her shades asked me to sing at her party that night.But i declined then.I would Never do that now,I would go and sing arabic modes for hours standing on my toes ,my nose in the air smelling the fullness of the freedom of being there...

No comments: